Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Daniel - The Fiery Furnace

Daniel Chapter 3 is a story of bravery and courage!

Daniel has 3 friends that have been with him since the beginning. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. All three friends love God. All three were appointed to high positions by the king because of their true commitment to serve their God and not the many pagan gods of Babylon.

Many have heard this story. King Nebuchadnezzar builds a statue and wants all the people in the kingdom to bow down to his statue. Shadrah, Meshach and Abednego will not bow down. They are thrown into a fiery furnace, 7 times hotter than usual. This furnace is so hot that the soldiers that threw the three men in died from the heat. You can read the rest of Chapter 3 to see the ending.

I want to know what is going through these three men's minds as they refuse to bow to the kings statue. This is what they say to Nebuchadnezzar. "King, we don't need to talk about this anymore. We might be thrown into the blazing furnace. But the God we serve is able to bring us out of it alive. He will save us from your powerful hand.......But even if we knew that our God wouldn't save us, we still wouldn't serve your gods." vs. 16-18

Wow what powerful words to say to a king that has the power to kill you right then and there.

I think about life and all its challenges. Illness's, divorce, death, money, job loss, etc., etc., etc. As I face life's challenges am I tempted to throw in the towel and just give up on all of it? Or do I stand firm and say what Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said.....

Do I say.......

"Satan, I don't want to talk about this any more. I can face all the challenges that life can throw at me but I will not give in. I will not abandon my God. Because no matter what, I know my God will never abandon me. My God can take me out a fiery furnace if He wants to. Even if he chooses to let me endure the fire, he will never abandon me. I will always follow His will. I will learn from the fire what He wants me to learn. I know He will protect me. I know He will give me strength.

That is what Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego's story is teaching me today!

I hope you gain in site with your walk with God through this story. I would love to hear what you learn. Share it with me sometime, will you?

In Him.......

Laurie

No comments: