Wednesday, August 19, 2009

David and Saul - 1 Samuel 24

I am reading 1 Samuel 24 from The Message. If you have never picked up The Message it is a great supplemental addition to your personal Bible collection.

At this point in time of Davids life his is on constant run from Saul. Saul is sooooo jealous of David it hurts. He cannot bear the thought of David around him any more and he is gathering together his finest men to seek David out and kill him. Remember David has done nothing wrong but honor God and please Saul.

In chapter 24 David and his men stumble upon Saul in a precarious position. Saul is in a cave relieving himself. David's men are ecstatic. Take him out David. Now is our chance. David knows it isn't right so he puts a teaser out. David is so close to Saul he cuts his robe and takes a piece of it. David is doing a "Nanny, nanny boo, boo. You can't catch me Saul. I could have caught you but I let you go."

David immediately feels guilty. Here is what he says (from The Message). "God forbid that I should have done this to my master, God's anointed, that I should so much as raise a finger against him. He's God's anointed!"

David is so regretful!

So step back and picture yourself in David's shoes. Have you ever had that happen to you?

Think of a time you were really angry with someone. A perfect opportunity presents itself for you to just lay in to them and let them have it. You know they deserve it and you just want them to know........ But wait! Something tells you to take a step back. You know God says we are all His children. You want to do the right thing but boy would it feel good to give them a what for. Tell them how you really feel. You know and everyone around you knows they deserve it! Something is holding you back. In the long run what is the best thing to do? Show mercy? They don't deserve that. God speaks to your heart. He tells you to be kind, compassionate and loving.

It's hard. I would love to say I always listen to that voice. When God tells me to be that kind, compassionate, forgiving person. But I don't always obey. Sometimes I just blurt out and regret it later! What kind of a Christ follower am I if I don't take the high road? How many times have I said, "God forgive me! That was not the God honoring thing to do."?

So take the 'high road' today,this week, tomorrow! I will see you Sunday!

In Him.......

Laurie

No comments: