Wednesday, August 5, 2009

David and Goliath - 1 Samuel 17

This Sunday we are continuing with our study in 1 Samuel. We are teaching about friendship and how David was a friend.

How was the story of David and Goliath a story on friendship?

David was a true friend. David put his own safety on the line to protect the only friends he had. David was a young man, about 14 years old. The only battle David ever fought before Goliath was against wild animals. In my book that is a pretty brave friend. I have never hunted anything. Unless of course you consider chasing down a house fly hunting. I was truly impressed. I am prayerful that God doesn't call me to fullfill that kind of role as a friend.

What I love about this story is how David embraces this confrontation.

David put on the armor Saul gave him. He was not comfortable. It didn't feel right. It was to big. It was to bulky. It was hot. He had never worn anything like that before. David was really uncomfortable.

I have never in my life played tackle football but from what my son tells me it would be like going from flag football to tackle football. I say, "Johnny I know you can run faster than that. He says, "Mom, you don't know how hard it is to run with pads on.". Your restricted. Its extra weight. And for heaven sake, how can you see through that huge helmet.

Davids shed himself of all the armor and fought the battle with the skin and skills God gave him.

Don't we do that all the time? Try to put on someone else's armor?

We put ourselves in situations that we are not comfortable in just to either say we did it, impress our neighbors, make peace with our family or because we 'think' its the right thing to do. When in reality God just hasn't gifted us there. God didn't mean for us to put that particular armor on. Sometimes God gives us a sling shot and we need to learn how to use the sling shot.

Have you ever done that before? Shed the armor and gone with the slingshot? Doesn't it feel good?

Serve were you are gifted and it will be the most wonderful experience of your life. Serve were you 'think' you should serve (not that you shouldn't try the armor on for size) and won't fit and you'll drag yourself every time.

I pray you are were God wants you. Pray on it! Listen to His response! Serve with your slingshot not someone else's armor.

In Him......

Laurie

No comments: