Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Matthew 28:1-15 - Easter 2009

It is Sunday after Jesus was crucified. Mary M. and the other Mary go to the tomb to see Jesus and to sprinkle oils, as was a Jewish custom.

An angel appeared to them and said, "Do not be afraid."

From the beginning of the New Testament angels appear saying, "Do not be afraid." Zachariah, Mary (Jesus' mother), Joseph and now the 2 Mary's.

Imagine the angel. How in awe they must have been. Yet, the two Mary's had been in the presence of Jesus. They have seen God in the flesh. Why would they fear an angel?

Remember the traditional fear of God's presence? If a priest was in the Holy of Holy's, in the Temple and his heart was not right with God he would die. Also, women were not traditionally welcomed into the religious hierarchy of the day. So fear of the Lord was common.

The angel appeared to those who's hearts were pure. Mary Magdalen and the other Mary. Not the ones around them. The soldiers passed out. Remember that! The angel spoke to the 2 Mary's only. He did not speak to anyone else around them.

I am wondering. Is my heart pure enough for me to listen to God, or His angel, speak to me? What is His message for me? Are you ready to hear Him?

Jesus died for you and me and He has a specific message for each of us. He will reveal himself if we are ready. God knows when that is. We don't know when but we can prepare ourselves. So, as I ask myself, ask yourself, "Am I ready to hear God's plan for me?" I pray I am. I pray you are too.

Have an awesome Easter Sunday!

In Him......

Laurie

No comments: