Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1 Samuel 20 - Jonathon and David

Friendship is our theme for the month of August.

We have talked about David being a friend by loving God (anointed as God's chosen one), David being a friend by helping others (defeating Goliath for his friends). This week we will talk about David having a best friend (Jonathon) and how a friend loves others.

We'll talk to the kids about what a best friend is. But this story stirred up a bit of controversy with my study.

As I read through the scripture I was torn by Jonathon and his deception to his father (Saul).

What is God telling me here about obedience? Is there a point in time that deception is okay? God directed Jonathon to deceive his father for the sake of his friend. I'm confused.

Praise God for his Word and study Bibles!!!

According to the NIV footnotes....

It is clearly a principle of Scripture that when a father instructs a son to break God's laws, the son should obey God rather than man. This principle assumes that the son is old enough to be accountable and to see through any deception. A son's role is to be respectful, helpful, and obedient to his father (Ephesians 6:1-3), but not to follow commands or advice that violate God's laws.

Jonathon was deceptive to his father when he lied about why David wasn't at the festival. Yet Jonathon had to protect David or his father (Saul) would kill him. Surely God didn't want Jonathon to put David in a position where his life was at stake. So Jonathon saving Davids life (even though it was through the means of lying to his father) was God driven.

When I face a situation where I need to protect an individual and deception is necessary, it is okay as long as I know I am following God's will and not a worldly directive.

How do I know if it is God driven or worldly driven? I believe you can only be certain your motives are God driven if you are studying God's Word, listening to the Holy Spirit, committed to prayer and seeking Godly council. Then your heart will be in the right place to hear God's wisdom.

Life is complex and complicated sometimes! That is why I am so grateful I am not going it alone!

Thank you God for being my best friend!

No comments: