Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Numbers 14 - Spies

Numbers Chapter 14 in The Message begins like this:


The whole community was in an uproar, wailing all night long. All the people of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The entire community was in on it: "Why didn't we die in Egypt? Or in this wilderness? Why has God brought us to this country to kill us? ........


Soon they were all saying it to one another: "Let's pick new leader; let's head back to Egypt."


When I reflected on these passages I realized how often I'm discouraged with where I am. Sometimes I want a new direction, a new road, a new 'leader'. Then I have to realize right in front of me is God's plan for me. God's blessings for my life is where I am. I am on a journey God laid out for me. What is my deal?


Does God wait for me to pick another path? Choose my own leader? Make another road?


No God waits to see what I am going to do with the current journey He already has me on. God's plan is the perfect plan. We can never choose a better one.


So often we pray, "God get me out of this 'mess'." When we should be praying, "God help me hear your voice through this mess. God let me know your will for me. God show me joy in this situation. Give me courage to weather this storm. Give me guidance through this rough patch. Show me, God, what you want me to learn from this journey."


One of my favorite scriptures is Romans 5:3-5.

We are full of joy even when we suffer. We know that our suffering gives us the strength to go on. The strength to go on produces character. Character produces hope. And hope will never let us down. God has poured his love into our hearts. He did it through the Holy Spirit, whom he has given to us.

Sometimes we need to stop grumbling, embrace the journey God has us on and gain strength that builds character!


I cannot sum it up any better than Paul!


Have an awesome character filled week.


In him......



Laurie

No comments: